One genesis for fatCoffee is the traditional Tibetan drink, po cha, or butter tea. (The other is Niter Kibbeh, a traditionally Ethiopian preparation of butter for use in butter coffee ceremonies and other gatherings.)
Typically, po cha is made with fermented yak butter and black tea. Unlike most western butters yak butter is more cheese-like in texture and taste, imparting a typically salty taste to the tea preparation. It can be something of an acquired taste, so omitting the salt in the recipe below is perfectly reasonable.
- Boil water for tea
- In a large blender (we recommend a Ninja or NutriBullet type blender), add 4 tea bags (or more, depending on your taste)
- Add water to blender container
- Steep for 5-7 minutes
- Remove tea bags
- Add two pouches (or 4 tablespoons from a multi-serving pouch) of fatCoffee Vanilla to blender), plus salt.
- Close blender tightly and blend on high for 30-45 seconds
- Carefully open blender, and pour into separate cups; drink and enjoy!
Share this Recipe